Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Time Off

I always have a hard time knowing if the workout I'm choosing is the right one. After the long ride last Saturday, my anxiety about keeping my base fitness is somewhat low. So I decided to work in an exclusively interval-based workout last night. I only had 40 mins b/c I had to work late and time was limited, but 3 sets of 5 x 15s maxed out sprints had me really working hard. As for the power, I am not sure I was at the right level (400-450W for most of them). I felt winded, and my HR was mostly at the top, but my legs weren't that tired at the end. Maybe I should step it up? The funny thing is that I am not sure I could generate any more power if I wanted to...this seems to be a limitation of indoor training. You can only focus on how much something hurts, not how good the bike feels or how fast you're going.

I have some time off for the next 5 days, as we're taking Jack to see the family for Easter. I won't be able to ride again in any form until next Tuesday. I always have read that it takes 7-10 days to lose fitness, so hopefully I won't move too far back from this time off. Maybe it will even do some good...

No comments: