Thursday, April 3, 2008

Pedal to the Metal

Tonight was the usual Thursday night Camarillo Crit Practice, the first time in 2 weeks I've run all-out. This was good b/c I haven't raced in a while, and it offered a chance to do some real work on the bike. It was also a little easier tonight b/c most of the usual pros, etc. who put in a torturous pace were not there. The bad part was that it really short-changed my time w/ Jack. By the time I got home at 7:30, he was really tired and getting ready for bed. That didn't feel so good.

As for the training, I'm not sure if I've lost fitness or if I was fatigued from the sprint workout on Tuesday night. Tuesday wasn't that much of a workout, so I fear that I've lost some fitness. I managed to stick w/ the group, both at the front and back, for 48 of the 50 laps, but had to take a lap off for lap 49 b/c of a severe calf cramp. I get these sometimes during extended hard efforts, especially when I don't drink. I wonder if I have a bike fit problem, or if it's a pedal stroke problem. Someday I should investigate that. Overall, though, I felt OK in the 2nd half of the hour after I warmed up. It just takes so long to get the legs fully going, especially when I don't have a real warmup.

Ojai is next weekend, and I've planned to do the Piru TT on Sunday morning. That should be at least one final hard effort before the race. Maybe I can have something extra by then.

No comments: