Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Devil's (Punchbowl) is Gonna Getcha...


I was excited for today's race - Devil's Punchbowl Road Race - as it was my first RR. I have been thinking that I should be good at these races, as they're more a test of overall fitness and climbing ability than raw power than criteriums test. Today's route for the Cat 5 race was 2 laps of 16 miles, w/ 1.5k ft of climbing/lap. I've done rides like this many times, right?

First, I have to say that I didn't feel so good heading to this race. It was a whole day away from Jean and Jack (race course is 80 miles away, my race was at 12:30). I didn't really account for the logistics when I signed up...

As for the race - it should be noted that the Devil's Punchbowl is a high desert recreation area w/ beautiful scenery and roads (see above pic). Joshua trees are everywhere. I saw a coyote in mid-day (rare!). But the race - oh no...it was a total disaster. I lost contact w/ the group at the end of the first 4 mile climb, and once you're off the back it's impossible to get back on. So I toiled either alone or w/ a few others to work back in, which made for a ton of work. In the end, this resulted in major cramps and even more major disappointment. I just have not had the time for the right miles for a race like this. The criterium training I've been doing is not good prep - a 30 minute high intensity race is not the same as a 1:45 road race. The 95 degree temps and 10% humidity made it worse, coupled w/ the 4,000 ft altitude.

I imagine I finished ahead of a few guys, but I'd be surprised if it was more than 5 or 6. I could be surprised, but I doubt it. It kind of feels like a bit of a waste to leave the family for such a ridiculous effort.

I don't think I did a lot wrong in the race, either prep-wise or racing. I just wasn't fast enough to keep up when it counted. I ate right and hydrated the 2 days before the race, I ate right and hydrated this morning. But it doesn't matter if you just get dropped on the key climb...

I'll get back on the horse again, but this year my best bet is to stick w/ criteriums. I doubt there are really any more road races this year, but it's just as well.

No comments: